An ADSL bundle comes with a limited phone service. A limited phone service is not a standard telephone service as defined in Section 6 of the Telecommunications (Consumer Protection and Service Standards) Act 1999 (Cth).
Calls you can make or receive using a limited phone service
You’ll be able to use your limited phone service to:
- receive calls to your phone service; and
- make outbound local calls and calls to 000, 1223 (free directory assistance), 13, 1300 and 1800 numbers (included calls).
The cost of the included calls is included in the fixed monthly fee for your ADSL bundle. No additional charges will apply for those calls.
Calls you cannot make using a limited phone service
You will not be able to use your limited phone service to make any calls besides the included calls. In particular, you cannot use your limited phone service to make:
- long distance (STD) calls;
- calls to mobile numbers;
- calls to premium services;
- calls to overseas numbers; or
- calls to satellite phones.
You can do so using a calling card which uses a local or 1300, 13 or 1800 access number, or you can use a mobile phone service.
You won’t be able to preselect to another provider for long distance calls, international calls and calls to mobile numbers on your limited phone service. If you would like to preselect those call types, we recommend that you sign up for a Telstra Voice Part service.
Other features of a limited phone service
A limited phone service comes with calling line identification (CLI), which allows a person being called from the phone service to see your phone number if their phone is capable of displaying the number.
A limited phone service also comes with caller number display. If a person calling you has not blocked CLI on their service, you’ll be able to see the number they are calling from, provided your phone is capable of displaying the number.
The limited phone service does not include any other enhanced calling features.
Limited phone services only available as part of an ADSL bundle
Our limited phone services are only available as part of an ADSL bundle. If you have an ADSL bundle with us, and cancel your broadband service, your limited phone service will also be cancelled.
You can, however, transfer your phone service to another provider who provides services on the Telstra network, and still receive a broadband service from us.
Priority Assistance not available from Belong
We don’t offer Priority Assistance services with your limited phone service. If you require Priority Assistance, we recommend that you obtain a Telstra phone service.
Silent Lines not available from Belong
We also don’t offer Silent Lines. We can put you on a No Entry Line so your phone number won’t be listed in the White Pages print, online and mobile directories, but this won’t provide the full range of features of a Silent Line. If you want a Silent line to ensure that your name, phone number and address won’t appear in any Directory Assistance database and Calling Line Identification is blocked, we recommend that you get a Telstra phone service.
The Telecommunications Numbering Plan sets out rules for issuing, transferring and changing telephone numbers. Both we and you must comply with the Telecommunications Numbering Plan, as relevant to our provision of a service to you, and your use of that service.
When a phone number is assigned to your phone service, you do not own that number. However, you’re entitled to:
- use the telephone number, except where the Telecommunications Numbering Plan allows us to take the number from you; and
- transfer a telephone number to another person if you get our consent first.
Transferring a phone service to Belong
If you already have a phone service with another provider, and sign up for an ADSL bundle in place of that phone service, you must be the legal lessee or authorised representative in order to transfer that service to Belong.
You may be able to retain that number if you request to transfer or ’port’ the number to us. However, we cannot guarantee that you’ll be able to port your number to us.
In submitting your order you:
- request us to switch the telephone number in your order (if any), the telephone service(s) for that number and, if applicable, the line(s) associated with the services, from your current telephone company to us and then connect the selected Bundle, where possible;
- authorise your current telephone company to release you from your current arrangement with them and to provide information about your account(s) and telephone number(s) to us as required for the purposes of the transfer;
- authorise us to act on your behalf with respect to the transfer of the service(s) and, if applicable, the line(s) associated with these services;
- understand that these terms relate to your transfer to us and not to the service(s) provided by your current telephone company; and
- acknowledge that if your telephone number is being transferred from another network, then ADSL or other services associated with your telephone number may be disconnected, resulting in finalisation of your current telephone company's account for those service(s).
Transferring to the nbn™ network
If the nbn™ network comes to your area we’ll take responsibility for managing your transfer to this new network. To do this, we’ll:
- need your agreement and help to access your premises;
- talk with you about the installation requirements;
- work with you to make this as simple as possible, but we may need to cancel your service if you don't want to move across to a service on the nbn™ network; and
- let you know the details before any changes happen.