How do I set up a personal hotspot?
Connect (tether) your phone to a compatible device to get online when and wherever you need to.
There are three ways to connect to the internet using your phone:
- Wi-Fi – connect via Wi-Fi internet
- Bluetooth – connect via pairing your devices
- USB – connect via USB cable
No matter what your preference, follow our set up guides below for internet on the go.
- Select Settings
- Choose Personal Hotspot
- Toggle on and next, follow the instructions for connecting via Wi-Fi/ Bluetooth or USB.
Things you should know: The range for a Wi-Fi hotspot is about 8-10 metres.
Setting up your personal hotspot on an Android phone depends on the device. The following steps should be used a general guide only.
- Launch Settings
- Select Wireless and Networks or Connections
- Next, choose Tethering and Portable Hotspot or Hotspot and Tethering
- From this page you can tap on Wi-Fi hotspot as well as manage your personal hotspot settings if you need to.
Things you should know: You can’t tether an Android device to a Mac computer using a USB connection.
- Keep your devices plugged in and charging while you’re tethering
- Use a USB connection for a faster connection
- Turn off your tethering connections when you’re not using them – this will extend the battery life of your devices.